Homborsund Lighthouse on Norway’s beautiful southern coast
Homborsund LIghthouse is in Grimstad municipality, Aust-Agder. Bordering on the Skagerrak, Homborsund is a beach resort south of Grimstad municipality halfway between the town Grimstad and Lillesand.
Between 1865 and 1875, 45 ships ran afoul in this stretch of ocean and shipping interests in Grimstad demanded a new beacon between Torungen and Oksøy Lighthouses. The lighthouse was built 1879 and automated 1992. It stands on the southern coast of Homborøya island . It is 65.9 feet (20.1 meters) tall, 73 feet (22.3) meters above the high tide mark.
There is a square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the gable end of a 1-1/2 story keeper’s house. 3rd order Fresnel lens in use. A 1-1/2 story duplex assistant keeper’s house, boathouse, and other station buildings are preserved. Homborsund is a sibling of the Lyngør Lighthouse and built in the same year and the two stations have similar designs
Visit Homborsund Lighthouse
- Grimstad Turist Office During the summer season, lighthouse hosts are on hand to welcome visitors. The surrounding area is a protected bird sanctuary.
- Booking: Tel. + 47 98 24 22 73
- Information: Tel. + 47 99 47 67 60 or +47 90 11 26 20
- The lighthouse is run by the Homborsund Lighthouse Board and is open to the public all year round. There is no regular transport option, but the lighthouse hosts can assist in putting you in touch with private transportaion. One must bring his own life jacket. From the pier in Homborsund to Homborsund Lighthouse it’s about a 15-minute boat trip. All are welcome, kayakers, rowers, sailors, et. al.
- Homborsund Lighthouse is open as a “tourist cabin” from about June 20 to mid-August, the start of the school year in Norway. In this period there is a host family that welcomes guests. There are beds for approximately 25 people, plus mattresses for use on the floor. In the warehouse there is room for long table for long pleasant evenings. During the rest of the year it is possible to rent the lighthouse for events.
- The lighthouse has a the water supply so that you can cook and use the barbecue.
- Accommodation Pricing: From NOK 175[convert number=175 from="nok" to="usd" template=" (approx. US $%result%"] [convert number=175 from="nok" to="eur" template=" / €%result%)"] to NOK200[convert number=200 from="nok" to="usd" template=" (approx. US $%result%"] [convert number=200 from="nok" to="eur" template=" / €%result%)"] per day. Price per day for children NOK 25[convert number=25 from="nok" to="usd" template=" (approx. US $%result%"] [convert number=25 from="nok" to="eur" template=" / €%result%)"]
- Outside of the summer months, contact: Tommy Olsen. Tel.: +47 37 04 30 97. or Mobile: +47 92 89 82 79.
Contact the hosts at the lighthouse for help arranging transportation. Tel.: +47 97 10 13 73
Norwegian Short Film Festival held every summer, usually in June.
Video Showing the lens at Homborsund Lighthouse